Deadline for Applications – August 1, 2020
Please direct inquiries to: Annals of Dyslexia Associate Editor Search, c/o Emily Franklin at efranklin@DyslexiaIDA.org
The International Dyslexia Association (IDA) is seeking two associate editors for its tri-annual journal, Annals of Dyslexia (Annals). Annals is an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the scientific study of dyslexia, its comorbid conditions, and theory-based practices on remediation, and intervention of dyslexia and related areas of written language disorders, including spelling, composing, and mathematics. Annals publishes original empirical studies, significant reviews, and well-documented reports of evidence-based effective practices.
Qualifications include an extensive research background in dyslexia and related language learning difficulties; a history of publications in journals and/or books in the field; a record of significant scholarly achievement; familiarity with the literature in the field, clinical research design, and basic concepts of statistics and ethics of research; administrative, organizational, and editorial skills, including familiarity with online peer review systems; capacity for detail work; willingness to support the editors-in-chief; understanding of the international community of scholars and practitioners; and strong interpersonal skills. The associate editor must possess the energy and vision to sustain and further develop Annals as a leading forum in special and general education, delivering timely and accurate research to inform instructional practice and networking and recruiting contributors. In addition, this individual should be a member of IDA and/or have contributed to IDA conferences or publications. Previous editorial experience is desirable, including strong organizational skills with experience meeting editorial/production deadlines.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Current curriculum vitae
- Letter of intent (applicants should include their vision for journal, any special skills, and areas of interest)
- Two to three references
Please submit application materials to: Annals of Dyslexia Editor Search, c/o Emily Franklin at efranklin@DyslexiaIDA.org
Annals of Dyslexia Mission Statement
Annals of Dyslexia (Annals) is an interdisciplinary peer-reviewed journal published by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA). Our focus is the understanding, prevention, and remediation of language learning difficulties, especially reading, writing, spelling, handwriting, and related areas, giving primary consideration to original research papers and including significant reviews and well-documented reports of effective practices. We encourage and often solicit submissions from both members of IDA and external researchers, educators, and clinicians concerned with language disabilities.
The IDA Board of Directors has a fiduciary and governance responsibility for IDA and is charged with developing and supporting the IDA mission, which includes the study and treatment of dyslexia and related reading differences as well as dissemination of research about these conditions and effective treatments. Oversight and support of this work is provided by the IDA Chief Executive Officer, IDA Board Chair, Annals Editorial Advisory Board, IDA Executive Editor-in-Chief (EEC), Media & Communications Workgroup (M&C), and the Director of Publications and Resources (IDA Pubs Director). These individuals and bodies may also suggest topics and contributors to ensure alignment with the IDA’s sharpened vision and mission.
Annals is currently published by Springer. Subscriptions and article downloads are available from the Springer website. IDA members access Annals from Springer via the IDA website as a benefit of their membership. A print subscription to Annals is available to IDA members for $30 per year. The Journal Reading and Writing is also available to IDA members via the IDA members-only site.
Associate Editors of the journal are responsible for the following:
- Serve for a period of three years, with negotiable extension of an additional 3 years
- Advise and assist the Editors-in-Chief at their discretion on tasks related to the preparation of Annals
- Suggest and obtain reviewers as requested
- Serve as “action editor” for up to 18 manuscripts per year
- Function as the Interim Editor-in-Chief of Annals in the event an Editor-in-Chief is not able to fulfill his or her role
- Attend IDA’s annual conference (Editors-in-Chief and Associate Editors will decide among themselves who will attend on behalf of Annals) and other related conferences, to assist the Editors-in-Chief in (soliciting manuscripts) Identifying potential submitters
- Participate in (a) quarterly planning/reporting meetings with IDA staff and /or EEC and (b) ad-hoc Annals Editorial Board Meetings
Journal Review and Submission Process
- Serve as a reviewer for the editorial pre-review process
- Advise Editors-in-Chief on selection of articles for each issue