While many popular teaching materials are visually beautiful, some may contain hidden traps and flaws. These traps, could make it difficult for young children (especially english language learners and children with dyslexia) to learn the sounds of the alphabet.
Here are the flaws in the alphabet chart above:
- The ‘g’ in giraffe is soft. The word ‘girl’ is a better choice.
- The ‘i’ in ice-cream is long. The word ‘igloo’ is a better choice.
- ‘Sn’ is a blend. The word ‘sun’ is a better choice.
- ‘Wh’ is a blend. The word ‘web’ is a better choice.
- The ‘x’ in ‘xylophone,’ sounds like the ‘z’ in ‘zebra.’ The ‘x’ sound in the word ‘box’ is a better choice.